Wednesday, December 07, 2005

William G: Part 3

Back in October, I wrote a nasty little post about webcomics pariah William G.

Today, I get a little "comment notification" email, and guess who's name I see...

William G.

It would seem that he found my little post. And he decided to leave a nice little post of his own.

So I just followed my referres back and I find some retard fanboy talking out his ass.

Oh well, I expect it from you clowns now. Keep up the mental masturbation, idiot.

I'm not at all sure if he realizes this, but knowing that the actual William G read my little post (which I never expected...hell, I was surprised when I got any comments about that post, nevermind one from the man himself) and actually felt the urge to leave a note is one of the coolest things that's ever happened to my Internet-self in the roughly 7 years of online-selfdom I've had. And in some small way, it does pleasure me to know that William G knows that I think he's a "scum-sucking pig", a "webcomic asshat", a "sewer rat", and most importantly, the "Richard Hogland of webcomics".

However, on another level, I think that when I posted that insult-laden entry I missed an opportunity to really say what I thought instead of going for the brief high one achieves by splatting a rant onto one's blog.

My problem with William G is precisely this: William G is not actually a "sewer-rat" or a "scum-sucking-pig" or any of that. William G is Indie Rock Pete*. This is a person who has become a pariah because he told several hundred thousand people they had bad taste. He hates anything that is remotely popular, that's why he "reviewed" PA and PvP and Megatokyo first on his late comic review blog. He named one of his subsequent blogs "doyourowndamnedcheerleading.blogspot.com" His Blogger profile actually says: Rest assured that my tastes are better than yours. Maybe that's a joke...Maybe not. Comics assembled from templates, no matter how brilliant they are, are simply not good enough for him. He compared Penny Arcade to pro-wrestling. He once listed a list of comics you should read simply because no one has heard about them.

William G, in his quest to destroy unoriginality and cliche has become a cliche. And his problem is, like Indie Rock Pete, he doesn't want to comes to terms with what he is.

*William G analogous to a sprite comic character? Muhahahaha.

No comments: